Don’t use these techniques for wrong influence and seductive manipulation at the cost of personal damage. Be very careful while using these techniques for your advantage.
show people that you are upset, for it makes you appear weak. Social Justice
Warriors take notice!
- If someone makes a joke at your expenses, pretend that you
didn’t hear it, while looking straight into his eyes. A joke that has to be
explained or repeated loses its’ sting.
- Utilise the Law of Reciprocity (By Robert Cialdini): People will feel
obligated do a favour for you in return for your gift/kindness/favour.
- Attractiveness affects how we are treated. Multiple studies have
found that clean shaven, well-dressed men are treated more favourably by
- Learn to use fallacies, cognitive biases and dissonance to your
- If you want to gain access into a person’s life, especially of
one of the opposite sex, use subtle flattery. Overt flattery will most likely
be too obivous and have a reverse effect.
- Whenever possible try to assume the role of the father (to
women) or brother (to men). People will easily submit their trust to you.
- The basis of authority? Body language, clothing style, financial
resources, likeability/charm and intelligence. Combine them to lay the
groundwork for all the other psychological manipulation techniques.
- The Deference Principle: People will trust you and follow your
instructions if you appear to be a person of authority.
- Walk like a King to be treated like one. If you act like and
appear to be in a position of power, you will soon find yourself in one.
- Use the Door in the Face technique. Make an enormous request
when asking for funding of his expedition) without the intention of having
anyone accept the unrealistic offer. If you follow up with a small request
afterwards, you are much more likely to have your request granted. Avoid making
too big of a request/demand though because you might run risk of sabotaging the
whole negotiation with an insulting demand.
- Similar to the Foot in the Door technique. Ask them for a small
favour and if they agree, follow up with a larger request.
- If you want people to agree to your request, offer to do a
little part of it, they are much more likely to agree if they see your good
will and that you are prepared to put in some effort.
- The Placebo Information. Give people any reason using “because”
in your request. Studies have shown that the compliance can skyrocket,
when giving any reason for your request. For example: Can you join me at the
event tonight because I need an escort.
- Propaganda masterminds know that repetition is an excellent way
to convince people of their point of view. The sweet spot for repeating
something lies between 3-5 times, according to studies. After that diminishing
returns set in.
- Overwhelm people by speaking quickly and overload their brain
with information or your views. This psychological manipulation techniques may
both be used offensively as well as defensively.
- People love people who like them.
- Use positive affirmations. Tell yourself that you like your
vis-à-vis or that you are not only the greatest, but the double greatest. Our
subconscious minds affect the way we act and treat people.
- People hate people who hate them.
- In a conversation always be present, don’t let your mind wander
but instead show keen interest in the other person. This will make the other
person like you a lot more.
- Whenever you want someone to cooperate, agree with you or want
them to calm down when angry, stand in a 45° angle to them or next to them.
- Standing or sitting in a direct line of a person tricks the
brain into believing that the vis-à-vis is an enemy. Avoid this in interactions
where your aim is cooperation.
- People will be more likely to do you favors if you make more
physical, platonic contact with them. Note the word “platonic”. Unless they are
attracted to you, flirtatious behaviour will make them more aloof. One of the
highly successful psychological manipulation techniques, frequently used
- Be aware of whether a person is a “thinker” or a “feeler” and
target your message accordingly. Most people though value emotion over
- The three elements of every speech or debate? Logos (the
Content/Argument), Ethos (credibility/authority) and Pathos (means to influence
his audience or opponent, emotional appeal).
- Caffeine increases the situation awareness and alertness.
Usually a good thing, though it can be used for mental manipulation purposes. A
person on caffeine is more easily influenced than he would otherwise be. A
study found out that people are 35% more inclined to agree with you, if they
are “high” on coffee.
- Reversal: People who are tired, are easier to manipulate as
- As a woman it is mandatory to never wear too much or too little
makeup, unless you wish to come across as untrustworthy and unsympathetic.
- Ask for a favour at a time most convenient for your target,
making him less likely to refuse. No brainer, but I still want to empathise the
need for proper timing.
- If you want to manipulate people, alter their mental state. A
scared, stressed, shocked or anxious person has less inclination to refuse.
Reason is that they think with their primitive limbic system, which only knows
black & white, but no shades of grey.
- Of course, the modern Machiavelli must not only use mental
manipulation techniques but must also know how to recognise emotional manipulation,
to not end up being the one deceived. A stoic mind helps and allows you to
focus and think rational, making it easy to spot the characteristics of a
- Chew gum before or during a stressful situation to trick your
mind into thinking that there can’t be an immediate danger, because you are
- It is possible to manipulate feelings and perceptions based on
an object someone is touching. Heavy object = thinks more seriously about
things. Rough object = pessimistic train of thought, bad mood.
- Hard chairs make for a hard negotiation. People sitting on them
are less likely to cooperate.
- Women seem men wearing red as attractive and desirable. Men
wearing blue as more stable, as boyfriend material. White = innocence.
- A two-sided argument refuting the opposite argument is more
persuasive than a one-sided argument. Read the definition here.
- Light swearing at the beginning or end of a speech, debate, etc
is often beneficial as it increases the audience’s perception of the speaker’s
- What everyone is aiming for: Affiliation, being liked, accuracy
and a positive self-concept and protection of his ego.
- Tell people that they look/are exactly the type of person who
would do xyz.
- Convince them that you are Jesus Christ reborn. Pretend to be
loved by everyone to create massive social proof.
- Never use qualifying words (maybe, probably,…) when trying to
influence people. Instead, frame your words in a way that makes them sound like
you are only stating confirmed, definite facts.
- How to manipulate people into thinking that you pose no threat?
Look harmless and pretend to be an innocent sheep while actually being the big
bad wolf in a sheep’s hide. Perception is reality.
- Charles Manson tips on recruiting: Always keep the mood
positive, tire them out, get attractive people to charm them. Interesting fact:
his most favourite book, the foundation of his artful psychological
manipulation techniques is the following book: How to Win Friends & Influence People
- Show interest in other people. If you do, people are more likely
to like you. Ask them questions and focus on making the conversation about
them, their experiences, dreams and interests.
- People gravitate towards those with a strong, flawless
reputation, even if their gut tells them that someone else, though more
obscure, is a better leader. Keep this in mind while mentally manipulating
- Want to keep people down whose nutrition you can dictate? Keep
their schedule busy and feed them a sugar-based diet. Useful for prison camp
directors or people like Fritzl or Priklopil
- When dealing with a religious person, swear to god that you are
telling the truth, when lying.
- A person who frequently draws attention to his
genitals(scratching, adjusting down there. Holding his belt with his thumbs,
ergo taking a manly stance) values his masculinity. Attacks on his masculinity
will hurt him much more while he will love to hear compliments about it.
- Mirror other people’s body language and actions. Don’t do it
instantly, because they will catch up on it, but do it with some time delay.
Attention: People trained in NLP will most likely catch your mirroring
- Repeat a person’s name often during a conversation. Not only
will this help you remember it, it makes him like you more. Don’t overuse it
and pay attention to how they react. There are some people who hate if their
name is used in a conversation, hence calibration is important.
- Match your speech (speed, use of words, pitch) to your vis-à-vis
to build rapport
- Match your breathing, blinking and walking speed to their.
In NLP referred to as “mirroring”.
- Belief and emotion trumps rationality and logic.
- Show, don’t tell. Manipulation is much easier if you base it
upon tangible things and emotion instead of talk. Win through your actions, never through argument.
- Avoid the bright spotlight. The darkness and shadows are your
- Give people the illusion of choice. Make them play with the
cards you deal.
- Women who tilt their heads back come across as less feminine,
chin down = more attractive. Making the orgasm face (think of Marilyn Monroe)
makes them more attractive, as well as signs of submission like high eyebrows
or revealing the neck.
- Obey your father. This was already written in the bible (I
believe) and can be used to effectively deliver advice. Say “my father once
told me, that it is best to do xyz that way”.
- Men who tilt their head back are considered more masculine. Men
who show signs of submission are less attractive.
- Calibration is an essential tool of the skilful manipulator.
Gauge reactions and emotions and adjust accordingly. If you see that you are
overwhelming someone, slow down.
- Different wording can make all the difference in manipulation
attempts. Spin doctors excel at this and re-word a massive tax increase in a
way that makes voters agree with it.
- It is much easier to make an optimist passionate for something.
Avoid the toxic & pessimistic people, because they often are harder to fall
victim to psychological manipulation techniques.
- One of the strongest tools to shame someone is to accuse them of
being creepy. This is a word nobody wants to be associated with.
- Emphasise scarcity. People want what they can’t have, or at
least what might be running short.
- Reversal: Abundance. If you come from a place of abundance, are
known for or appear to not be needing the deal/the girl/the job, you are in a
- Dominance is sexy. Women are more likely to agree with
something, if they are touched on the arm during the request.
- Squeeze people for the last penny. Be bold with your demands.
Show no mercy because you will not be shown any. If you give someone a finger,
they will take your whole arm.
- Science confirms that strong emotions make people fall in love
faster. Watch horror movies, rob a bank, go on a roller-coaster ride; create
- Want someone to agree with you? Start asking them something you
know they are going to agree upon, even if unrelated. For example ask a liberal
person “I hate Hitler, do you like him?”. Follow up with the question or
request you wish your vis-á-vis to agree upon.
- Find out your common interests and strengths and exaggerate
them, while downplaying or ignoring any differences that may exist between you.
- Women who smile are more attractive. Men who smile less
attractive but if they appear serious, men are more attractive. Attractive
equals charisma and makes it easier for you to use psychological manipulation
techniques on your target.
- When you asked the buying question, shut your trap. Never make
the mistake of talking yourself out of a deal.
- If you were forced to make an apology, delivered it artfully and
it was accepted, the same rule applies. Immediately stop apologising lest you
want to talk yourself out of the apology.
- Usually, when your apology has been accepted under protest and
grumbling, it is best to not apologise again, for you might draw upon you
resentments waiting to come at you. Giving it a little space and time is the
preferred course of action here.
- Never ever make the mistake to give your target reasons to not
do what you want them to do. Sounds basic? It is not. Do not talk down your own
- People like people who are like them. A narcissistic HR person
is most likely to hire a narcissistic candidate.
- It is human nature to trust their fellow man, hence are
naturally born naive, susceptible to psychological manipulation techniques. The
higher up you move on the food chain, the less naive and careless people are.
- People who have recently eaten are easier to convince of
something. Maslow’s Pyramid of needs at work.
- Never immediately end a conversation after getting the
information you need. Ask a couple of inconsequential questions or chat a
little. Later, when the target tries to remember the conversation, they will
most likely only recall the last 2 questions.
- Human minds best remember the beginning and the end of, well,
basically everything. A phone call, a job interview, a speech. Use this to your
advantage (come first/last to a job interview, emphazise important points at
- Security is often an illusion. Never drop your guard, especially
not at a business party, never reveal too much.
- Never believe a conversation to be confidential.
- Whatever you do, pretend like it is getting video taped,
whatever you say, pretend like it is getting recorded. This is of utmost
importance if you are a person standing in public focus.
- A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion
still. While you may force someone to comply, remember that they will despise
you for it.
- Avoid the direct confrontation when arguing with someone who
might be a potential ally.
- When asking for a favour, it is only beneficial if you ask for
it in front of the public/other people. If they agree, they look kind, and they
fear that if they disagree they might look cold.
- If you want your target to agree with you, nod while asking the
question. If you want him to disagree, shake your head.
- When asking for a favour, it is beneficial to appear dominant.
Look them straight into their eyes. Intimidation is an excellent foundation for
psychological manipulation techniques.
- Dominate & intimidate by looking at your vis-à-vis’ forehead
or hairline. This is going to subconsciously evoke feelings of inferiority and
insecurity in them.
- Speaking of dominance, muscles do help, as well as a bald or
clean-shaven head have been shown to have a positive effect on your ability to
follow up with psychological manipulation techniques.
- Being thin and therefore having a chiseled jaw makes you appear
more dominant. A wide chin is a sign of high testosterone.
- Don’t overdo it but take a sentence, rephrase it and feed it
back to them. This gives them the illusion that you are an avid listener and
interested in them. Also known as “reflective listening”.
- Many people enjoy helping, hence, if you have a request, you can
start by stating that you need their help.
- If you see a bum and know that he is going to turn to aggressive
begging techniques, ask him for money first to utterly confuse him.
- If you feel like someone is telling only half the truth, utilise
the tension of silence and stare at them.
- Develop a stare that would make Mussolini proud. Staring someone
down can be very beneficial during a confrontation.
- Keep eye contact but don’t overdo it. People who lie often hold
strong eye contact, despite popular opinion that they look away. This falls
under the “silent” psychological manipulation techniques.
- Don’t give signs of confirmation all the time while listening.
Ergo don’t nod all the time or say “mhm/I agree”. This reveals your approval
- Flatter, but never flatter too much. Also, be careful when
people are shy, because they will often resent compliments. Confident
narcissists can’t get enough of them on the other hand.
- Not only observe your target, but also the reactions of their
friends. Sometimes the friends reveal your targets real thoughts.
- Taunt your target into delivering excellent results, but
questioning his abilities. Enraged people will go out of their way to prove you
wrong. Use sparingly.
- Touching guests, having a cheerful mood, giving them free sweets
and drawing a smiley on the bill, increases the tips of waiters (and of
- Ask questions to throw people off balance. For example, if
someone is playing well (Poker, Sports, …), ask him what he changed about his
game because he usually never plays that good.
- Using a frame breaker in the form of doing something unexpected
or asking annoying questions can be used in many other Situations as well.
- Arrogant sales people sell more to rich buyers in outlet stores.
This also applies to real estate. Adapt to your customer and you might even
find psychological manipulation techniques obsolete in some scenarios.
- The illusion of irrevocability says that people will change the
way they think about something to justify their behaviour. If you gas enough
people of a particular race/ideology because it is your job, you are guaranteed
to despise those people.
- Never underestimate the importance of a first impression. This
combined with the halo effect can be either beneficial or catastrophic for you.
- Divide & Conquer. Alienate people to make them depend on you or
to weaken the enemy from within.
- People who think that you are a good-for-nothing-asshole are
going to convince themselves that you indeed are, even if you start handing out
soup to the homeless and rescue kittens in your free time. People hate being
wrong and hence will try to convince themselves that their opinion of you was
- Be bold, be confident, ask for more rather than less, exaggerate
your skills and achievements, dress and groom well. The basics of every job
interview or political speech.
- Use reinforcement to manipulate people. Both positive and
negative as well as intermittent or partial reinforcement.
- Use sugar bread & whip, rewards & punishment. Use selective generosity to lower defences.
- Enthusiasm is contagious. Always be in a cheerful, positive mood
and others will start to love you for it. The opposite is also true.
- A couple of confidence instilling tricks… the key to
confidence is walking into a room, and assuming everyone there already likes
and respects you. Make a habit of smiling at people… smile more and see how
good you will feel about yourself, in the process you will make others feel
good, and you will render yourself open to making more friends/associates. When
alone, try making the biggest smile possible, you’ll automatically feel happier
and more outgoing. Also, if you start acting like you’re a confident and
assertive person, people will believe you are indeed that – ‘fake it until you
- Read more about a favourable first impression as well as the art
of forming a smile in my comprehensive summary ofLaw #12 – Use Selective Honesty and Generosity to Disarm your
- Get comfortable hiding & holding a knife behind a smile. The
knife that is not expected cuts deep.
- Act like you belong, like you are an authority, and many people
will not question whether you belong somewhere or have bad intentions.
- Writing things by hand improves the retention of the
information, as students know, but also boost the likelihood of commitment to
whatever has been written down.
- People are lazy and will always try to take a shortcut. Abuse
- In the same turn, think twice and hard about accepting a
seemingly free lunch. Favours often are attempted psychological manipulation
techniques in a sugarcoat disguise.
- “’Cuz when niggers are scared, that’s when white folks are
safe.” “The only time black folks are safe, is when white folks is disarmed.
And this letter had the desired effect of disarming white folks.” Quotes
from The Hateful Eight. Use fear to secure your power.
- Avoid filler words whenever possible. Substitute the “ähms” for
silence and recollect your thoughts.
- Anecdotes persuade people better than data does. Anecdotes
invoke empathy, which triggers emotional reactions that assist in processing
the data and the feelings. Emotions also trigger the memory centers in the
- If I told you that 2 jumbo jets full of people died of smoking,
and if I told someone else that x number of people die of smoking, who do you
think would remember?
- What does it take to become a Machiavellian strategist? Strong
manipulation skills as well as excellent analytical cold-reading skills. Hone
- If you are a bad liar and people can tell that you lie based on
a specific tell-tale sign, incorporate this specific action in your everyday
behaviour. Example, I sometimes swallow when I bluff during Poker, hence I
swallow all the time (reading this sounds so wrong…)
- People love progress and are highly motivated by it. Even small
victories keep them happy and motivated to continue doing what they are doing.
Example if your girlfriend tries to change you, give her something and pretend
that you have changed. You can always revert back to your old ways later on.
Change a small behaviour to justify a huge, terrible behaviour.
- People lie most often on the telephone than they do during writing.
Writing non-electronically decreases the amount and size of lies even more.
- Body language and facial expression can change your mood. Stand
like a king and you shall feel like a king. Smile and you will feel happier in
- We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act,
but a habit. If you play the game of power, you will get better at it.
- People often ignore or overlook discrepancies in favour of
things that are congruent with what they believe to be true. Therefore a prince
may appear as he wishes to be seen.
- Always be nice & polite, until it is time to stop being nice
- Depending on your opposite, it can be useful to appear meek,
humble and non-threatening
- Never hold a grudge against another person because it will cloud
- Never fight a battle if you gain nothing by winning.
- Thank people often and congratulate them on the choices they
made. This will reinforce their belief of having made a great decision.
- Never believe anyone who constantly tells you what a great
decision you have made. They are out to get you.
- Ask people for their opinions and possibly follow the advice
they gave you. Thank them later on for the great advice.
- The beauty of mob mentality and social proof. Never forget that
human beings are only a small step above sheep. Social proof and social
pressure can be your ally.
- Wear a cross necklace. Many people believe religious people to
be good, righteous people.
- (Pretend to) be nice to animals. Many people believe animal
lovers to be good, righteous people.
- Want an answer to a question? Instead of asking the question,
post a wrong answer. People are much more likely to correct you than answer a
- Everyone wants to be liked, admired and be right.
- Not what you say matters, but how you say it. As well as who
- People will believe a person they like and defend their
viewpoint, even if they are unsure of the truth content of said statement.
- There is only one radio station people listen to. WII.FM. What’s
in it for me?
- I have a great memory but pretend that I don’t. If I was honest,
I would rob myself of an excuse.
- Plausible deniability is your friend. Use it yourself to avert
repercussions. Use it on others to make them admit an error, submit information
or not feel as bad.
- Assumption Principle: Assume that the other person agrees with
your terms. Example “I am going to come to your place and show you how I can
save you money on your insurance. When is the best time?”
- Also assume that everyone loves you, that every word from your
mouth is golden and that your poop smells like flowers.
- Even better is to combine this approach with limited options.
Make people choose between 20:00 and 21:30.
- More on options: never give people too many options. If you do,
they will feel overwhelmed and do nothing.
- Don’t fear rejection, be confident and never ever let anyone
know that they have power over you, because you fear their rejection.
- Gifts randomly given can have a huge positive impact. A gift
constantly given in a row (3+ times) ceases to be a gift, but becomes an
- The beginning and the end are remembered. The middle usually
not. You can apply this law of human nature in various situations.
- If you appear to be reluctant to ask for a favour or seem to be
distressed, people are more likely to help you out.
- If a person blinks fast they are usually bored with the
conversation, but it is also a sign of distress. A relaxed person, or someone
interested in you/the conversation will blink less.
- With chewing gum it is the opposite. A person who enjoys
something will chew faster. Offering gum to a woman you are trying to seduce
can be a good move if you want to gauge her interest.
- Be clear, concise and bold. Never say “do not hesitate to call
me, if you like me” instead be bold and say “call me on Monday”
- Never RAP with strangers. Don’t talk about Religion, Abortion,
Politics and other controversial topics.
- Be prepared for the unexpected. Make sure to have a Plan B.
- If you are in dire need of a flood of motivation, burn down your
ships and bridges and don’t have a backup plan.
- Analyse yourself, assess your strengths and weaknesses. You need
to know how you look and behave when you are in various situations, for example
when not telling the truth. Realising something is the first step to recover.
- Act dumb, uneducated, naïve or inexperienced. Others will become
arrogant and prone to mistakes if they underestimate you and believe that every
psychological manipulation technique used against you was going succeed without
- Be like a social chameleon and adapt to your environment. Think
as you like but behave like others.
- Always keep frame, never lower your mask even for the fraction
of a second, because if you lose your mask, the mask is lost forever. Keep in
mind that you must guard your reputation with your life.
- Never fight a battle if you don’t gain anything substantial when
winning. Play through all the possible scenarios in your head, or even better
on paper, before making a decision.
- Master the art of storytelling to charm victims with contagious
- Mastery comes through practice. Practice speeches, practice
persuasion attempts, practice facial expressions in the mirror.
- The general who wins the battle makes many calculations in his
temple before the battle is fought. The general who loses makes but few
calculations beforehand. Fortuna loves preparation and the modern Machiavelli
must pay close attention to his plans
- Always have a clear goal in mind and make sure to never shoot
past the aim.
- Analyse your target. Find out as much as possible about his
strengths and weaknesses. You never know what kind of information can benefit
you, or be used against him.
- It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you
will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but
do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your
enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.
- Having much information on your enemy gives you the upper hand.
Adjust your dealings accordingly and lure them with the bait most suited for
- According to the Needs Principle, a person who knows what
another man needs can easily manipulate him.
- Draw attention to something by mentioning it. I am certain that
you know the “don’t think about an elephant” trick. Use this cognitive loophole
to manipulate people into thinking about a certain thing. For example, tell
someone about a house that burned down and then ask him if he has turned down
- Make sure you only surround yourself with people beneficial to
your goal. If you want to look like a sophisticated gentleman, don’t let it
known that your friends are hooligans. Your company will always fade upon you.
- If your target starts raising their voice, tell them that you’ll
understand them better if they talk calmly. This phrase is provocative because
everyone wants to be understood in a debate. Same goes for a sudden increase in
- Put the con in confidence. Never show weakness or seem hesitant.
People despise weakness and will see right through your act if you fake it.
- Learn from your own mistakes, learn from other’s mistakes,
amplify their mistakes to gain leverage.
- Don’t make the mistake of forgetting about the peripheral
vision. Just because someone isn’t directly looking at you doesn’t mean that he
doesn’t notice what’s going on. Women have a much better peripheral vision;
this is the reason they are good at finding stuff in the fridge and their bags.
- Make people jump through your hoops. It will make it easier to
ultimately get them to buy. If they have to make a little effort, they are
going to value you or your service much more.
- people will forget what you said, people will forget what you
did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- The strong eat the weak. If you push someone, he won’t notice
you stealing his wallet. If you accuse your opponent of a huge case of
corruption, people forget that you are accused of being a Nazi.
- Learn how to flash an authentic looking fake smile. Smile with
your eyes, form the smile slowly. Don’t smile for no reason at all, or you will
be perceived like Forrest Gump.
- Use your body language as a tool in the psychological
manipulation process. Stay tuned for a post on body language hacks and tricks
to read non-verbal clues.
- When going to McDonalds, you don’t have to take their shit in
silence. If you buy a burger, demand to have it made fresh. If you order Coke,
drink a chunk of it and then complain that there is not enough gas in the Coke
and have them change the gas cartridge. Why? Because a man requires constant
confrontation to not lose his bite. Life is a constant struggle and just like
you need to lift heavy object to retain or increase muscle mass, you need
confrontation to be able to regularly and successfully utilize psychological
manipulation techniques in those situations that really count.
- You can never fool 100% of the people 100% of the time, just
like you can’t force compliance indefinitely.
- Question everything, never believe anything without haven given
it a quick, better yet thorough, think.
- If you can’t be 100% certain that someone is telling you the
truth, better assume that he is lying.
- Never sweat the small stuff. Trusting someone’s word is good,
but rereading the contract or checking the car for small damages is better.
Remember what Il Duce said: It is good to trust people, but not doing so is much better.
- Not only is it important to know your terrain, but you must also
know your body. Be aware of it, know what is good for him and treat him in a
royal fashion. Know how you react to various drugs and supplements and whenever
needed, don’t be hesitant to aid your concentration or relaxation. Know the
supplements that give you a mental edge over your opponents (read up on